Three of your friends came over to play Bombsquad and you only bought two OUYA controllers? Oh wait, you still have two PS3 controllers laying around? No problem! You can just pair them with your OUYA. They’re not working for all games in the store, but most should do. Tell us, which games you could’t play at all with your PS3 controller.
Follow these steps to pair your PS3 controller
- start your OUYA and pair one OUYA controller
- plug your PS3 controller into the OUYA with your mini-USB cable
- press the home button on your PS3 controller. When you get back to the OUYA home screen, make sure, your PS3 controller is paired. Your OUYA controller is disconnected because plugging in a controller in USB turns off bluetooth.
- Shutdown your OUYA by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.
- unplug the PS3 controller from USB
- start your OUYA
- when the controller pairing screen appears, pair your PS3 controller by pressing the home button
- pair your OUYA controllers
Now let the games begin!
The PS3 controller sometimes won’t turn itself off properly when shutting down the OUYA. Press and hold the PS button for ten seconds to turn it off for sure. [Tip by Ryan Whitwam]
Pair your controller with PS3 again
If you want to use your PS3 controller on your PS3 again, just plug it in with USB once and press the home button. That’ll do it. Just make sure, your OUYA isn’t running at the same time.
If your OUYA controllers stopped pairing (update!)
If for some reason the pairing of your OUYA controllers stopped working, try the following steps:
- definitely plug an USB mouse into the OUYA (this doesn’t shut down bluetooth!)
- go to MANAGE->CONTROLLERS
- bring your OUYA controller in the pairing mode by pressing the OUYA button a few seconds
- make bluetooth visible for 2 minutes in the controller menu of the OUYA
- look for un-paired controllers in the menue and pair them by clicking them
- if they all seem paired but don’t work, un-pair them via the settings menu to the right of the actual controller, then do a new search for un-paired controllers (that worked for me. No problems since!)
[tip from James Coote from Crystalline Green, photo of PS3 controller by Evan-Amos]
Did you like the article? Help us spread the news and share it!